Kids need dental care, too! Did you know that experts recommend taking your baby to the dentist for their first checkup by the time they’re just one year old? That’s why Spirit Dental offers plans that are suitable for your entire family, including the smallest and youngest members of your household.
At Spirit, we believe that starting early is the key to long-lasting oral health. Sure, you can brush your kid’s teeth and gums daily, but that’s only one step that you can take to ensure those teeth will remain healthy. Nothing beats the expertise of a dentist who knows how to thoroughly examine a youngster’s mouth for early signs of problems.
Periodic checkups, combined with oral health education, is the ideal strategy when it comes to preventing dental issues before they start. Plus, getting your child used to trips to the dentist can help them establish habits that they’ll take into adulthood.
While we don’t have specific dental insurance for kids, all children are covered when you opt for a family insurance plan. And, once you’re enrolled, all of the major plan details will be the same for everyone who’s on that plan.
How It Works
- Sign up for Spirit family dental insurance online. It only takes a few minutes.
- In about 10 business days, you’ll receive your ID card in the mail.
- On the effective date of your policy, you can start using your insurance for your kids’ cleanings, checkups, and orthodontics. Just let your dentist know that you have coverage, and you’re all set!
- Coverage is available right away. No waiting periods for preventive, basic, and major services.
- Coverage options differ per plan. Make sure to compare before purchase.
- Guaranteed acceptance.
- All plans have a monthly premium and a one-time $100 deductible.
- Your monthly premium will be based on several factors, including your zip code, the type of coverage you select, and whether you opt for a Choice or Network plan.
Plan Benefits Include:
- Three cleanings per year
- Choose your own dentist, including a pediatric dentist for your kids
- Child orthodontia is included with ALL plans
Interested in getting a quote? Click here.
Want more information? You might find the answer on our FAQs page.
With a Spirit dental plan, you can rest assured that you’ll get the financial support you need when you have to take your kids to the dentist. Whether they need to go in for an annual checkup, they’re in need of a professional cleaning, or they’re ready to get braces to achieve a straight and beautiful smile, the right plan will have you covered.
But there is some age-specific information to keep in mind:
- For children to be eligible for coverage, the main plan applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
- Children are eligible for coverage under the Individual+1 and Family plans. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to enroll, and dependent children are eligible up to the age of 26.
Treatments for Cavities and Gum Disease Are Covered
Dental decay is considered a common condition amongst kids in the United States. Left untreated, it can lead to toothaches and, worse yet, infections. Over time, your son or daughter might even have trouble eating and speaking.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), roughly 20% of kids between the ages of 5 and 11, and 13% of kids between 12 and 19, have at least one tooth exhibiting untreated decay.1
Did you know that your child could develop cavities even in their baby teeth? Referred to as early childhood caries (ECC), and also known as baby bottle tooth decay, this condition can wreak havoc on your little one’s teeth, so it’s important to seek the help of a dentist who can provide appropriate treatments. Your dentist can even give you tips on how to prevent further decay. And, once the permanent teeth grow in, it’s still important to see the dentist, as those are the pearly whites that your child will have for the rest of their life.
Treating problems like gum disease and cavities can help ensure that your child’s chompers will remain healthy as they grow. Your dentist can perform cleanings, fill cavities, and recommend sealants, and the right insurance plan could help cover the costs of expensive treatments so you don’t have to break the bank to keep your kids’ teeth shiny and strong.
Need more information on how to keep your family’s teeth and gums healthy? Here are a few of our latest blogs →
- How to Prevent Bottle Rot
- Oral Care for Babies
- Help Your Kids Maintain Stellar Dental Health
- New Parent’s Guide to Toddler Oral Care
- Infants Thumb Sucking | The Dental Effects
- Kids First Dentist Visit: Dos and Don'ts
Orthodontics for Kids Are Also Covered by Spirit Dental
As your kid’s permanent teeth come in to replace the baby teeth, you might notice that they aren’t growing properly. For example, the teeth might be crowded or crooked, or there might be too much space between them. Beyond that, the bite might not be in proper alignment if there’s an overbite or an underbite. In all of these cases, failing to fix the problem might lead to complications in the future, and your child won’t have the lovely smile that they deserve.
With a Spirit Dental plan, you can rest assured that, if your child needs braces, you’ll be covered. And that’s important because, on average, braces could cost anywhere from $3,000 to $7,000!
If you’re interested in learning more about dental insurance for children’s orthodontics, click here.
Need more time to consider orthodontics for your kids? Here are some of our informative blogs →
- 5 Types of Braces
- Invisalign vs. Braces: Which Is Best for Your Teen?
- Overbites: Protect Your Kid’s Smile!
- Does Dental Insurance Cover Braces?
When Wisdom Teeth Aren’t Perfect, Spirit Dental Can Help
Ah, wisdom teeth. Sometimes, they aren’t so “wise,” particularly when they don’t grow in perfectly straight. These are the last chompers to erupt, but many teens have impacted wisdom teeth that may result in damage to nearby teeth, as well as pain, infection, and other oral health issues.
Even when the wisdom teeth do erupt correctly, they’re difficult to clean because they’re all the way in the back of the mouth. This makes them vulnerable to gum disease and cavities.
A dentist can keep track of your kid’s wisdom teeth from a young age, particularly with the help of x-rays. If they’re showing signs of being impacted or causing other problems, the necessary steps, such as extractions, could provide relief, and your Spirit dental plan will be there to help cover the cost.
Need more information on wisdom teeth? Check out these helpful blogs →
Ready to Get Dental Insurance for Your Kids?
Review our plans or speak with one of our licensed agents today if you have any questions regarding coverage and which plan is best for your children.
*Spirit Dental is not a child only dental plan. This plan requires the main applicant to be at least 18 years of age to be eligible for coverage. Minor children between the ages of 0 and 17 may apply for coverage, as long as a parent or legal guardian is enrolling in the dental plan. Our Denali Dental plan DOES have a Child-Only option. To get a quote for a Child Only plan, please visit the following website: Denali Dental.